Sunday, April 26, 2009

On Koko Mansion...slap me!

Everyone should know about this show which is the most anticipated since Linda Ikeji, Niyi Tabiti and Bellanaija put the news on their blogs.

This show guides DBanj to finding a Kokolette, one year companion who will win 5million for being Dbanj's groupie will "reinforce the unique role of an African woman in the development of our society."

I am particularly disturbed because of my feminist, neo-conservative views and my attempt to break away from traditional degrading feminine-roles (being a Northern Nigerian young woman with cultural/religous crap of women's inferiority being thrown at us daily). I like Dbanj's beats but I am peeved by his videos and lyrics which I think are disrespectful to progressive/ educated/ modern women in many ways.

The potential Kokolette:

"must be able to emulate notable women in society such as Honourable Abike Dabiri, Nike Osinowo among others even as she shows the ability to impress D’banj, under all circumstances in order to win the public’s votes to be in the house among others."

"the ability of the Kokolette to cook scrumptious meals for D’banj and his friends, especially during impromptu visits; her ability to furnish and maintain the mansion."

"also be industrious while being able to take care of the home front"

Cook for impromtu visits and maintain the mansion? take care of homefront? be a one year companion? Impress Dbanj at all times?

Based on the articles I've been reading, I now know what Kokolette means= Housegirl or Stepford Wife (if you've seen the movie(s)) with 5million paycheck and Chris Aires diamond ring. Plus she gets to represent HiTv like a model or something.

Does anyone know both Abike Dabiri. She's a legislator, former journalist with one fabulous career move after the other and none of the other 'kokolette traits' of being subservient to a man will make anyone the next Abike Dabiri I'm sure about that.

How will our society develop when women sit at home waiting for their husbands and their friends to arrive at impromptu times and still expect food on the table? Unless the women just sits at home sha.

I'm an Economics major so I get the money making aspect of the show (Kudos to HiTv) but talk about perpetuating stereotypes through 12 groupies at Dbanj's beck and call in the name of being 'African women'? And that talk about developing the society is just BS. Y'all are trying to make 'Flavor of Love' classier by adding the words 'African woman' and 'development' and 'Abike Dabiri.'

Admit it, HiTv is trying to make money. SIMPLE!!!!! Else they should have just given the prizes to a women's rehabilitation charity if they were trying to 'develop' women and gone to my village to look for a Stepford wife to cook for Dbanj and furnish his mansion and then be the face of the company.

I don't get the vision of the show. I though they were looking for a Kokolette, abi Wife, abi Dbanj Excort, abi role model? abi supermodel, abi housegirl?

Slap me, I'm confused. I'll be in Nigeria in June so I'll see the show and see if it adds more pepper to my wounds.

- Ladi


Courtesy: Niyi Tabiti

19 comments:

i've had same thoughts since i heard about it.
the prize is impressive but not worth it.
impromptu meals?
we've got women who are fighting this life and praying to get out of it, and there they are commercializing the 'traditional and macho' way of classifying women. a cook, cleaner and accessory to hang on ur arms when going out.
no thankyou.

Hmmmm..... Oti o! Na wa. I don't even know what to say.

On a brighter note, i remember Abike Dabiri. I'm glad she has gone on to do better things. Yay for her.

My dear, pls slap me too, cuz i just don't get it. This is just another example of Nigerians borrowing a very wrong leaf from the western world, as in seriosly talk about flavor flav come to Africa. And they now had the nerve to mention Abike Dabiri the same sentence.

I love D'banj, infact i love D'banj a lot, but i still think this is just wrong. An undeniable fact though is that it will have viewers. I can't wait to see the type of bigz gehz and all d wrong fone they will b speaking. Hopefully i do not throw up when it starts showing.

And again, that prize money is just wrong, so many better things it could be used for. Free publicity should be enuff of a reward for the winner abeg!

My dear, pls slap me too, cuz i just don't get it. This is just another example of Nigerians borrowing a very wrong leaf from the western world, as in seriosly talk about flavor flav come to Africa. And they now had the nerve to mention Abike Dabiri the same sentence.

I love D'banj, infact i love D'banj a lot, but i still think this is just wrong. An undeniable fact though is that it will have viewers. I can't wait to see the type of bigz gehz and all d wrong fone they will b speaking. Hopefully i do not throw up when it starts showing.

And again, that prize money is just wrong, so many better things it could be used for. Free publicity should be enuff of a reward for the winner abeg!

We borrow everything without thinking about the negative aspects of Western society. Because they are deveeloped doesn't mean copying them will lead us somewhere.

I def. want to watch it... with the likes of my Sis, bro, and other ppl that I can count on to yab the stuff. I wish you cud watch it with us too, Ladi. Your input wud be hilarious, I'm sure.
Cheers!

WoW! I didn't even hear this part...whoa! That doesn't even make sense. And I do know Abike Dabiri, she's strong, independent and determined... I'm actually a little stunned!

x!

As I was reading I just thought 'Flavor of Love'...just the African version...

This kokolette thing puzzles me too. We are so un-original! what, we think we can pull off the Nigerian version of bachelor's? i like mizchief's choice of words - borrowing a wrong leaf! we dont realize that the westernized world has achieved all they can, and- now, they sit around and look for ways to waste money, and we like mumu's are copying them. Anywyas, as you alluded, somehow or another, it will contribute something something to the economy. But sha, as far as i am concerned, this is a brothel on a whole new level - a classy brothel. In any case, I shall be launching the Kokolette mansion, and prostituting men around...abi who says I no fit do follow follow?

Oooh I totally agree. I think Koko Mansion is a sad duplicate of Flavour of Love or Tila Tequila's show but Nigerians are trying to use "MORALS" to whitewash everything and say it will be "respectable" by seeking the most docile, subservient, irritating, and self-sacrificing girl to become a "kokolette" in the name of domestication and phony African Values.

So I would have pointed this out on Bella Naija but they all hate me over there because they like to drink the Kool Aid and I'm trying to turn off the tap.

Oh well.

well,in my own view..i think the idea is cool..atleast,it will help to expose the wrong type of gurls,fake gurls and the real ones would be seen..becos am sure pretences would be exposed as well...but come to think of it will help participant in building uo their wify material values..even though,u no win atleast it would groom u and help u..inshort i must paticipate in that kokomansion....i want to be there...i love d banj,but most things about him is all i hear but now i want to get to see things for myself...

OMG......am sure some peps that left this comments would tune in to watch.......nways...i cant wait to be entertained 1st of JUNE..after reading for 9mths this is the perfect show to cool down.....hmmmm......

All that blah blah blah bout western culture...everything on tv is copied from moments wiv mo to name lt!!! Abeg please just try and appreciate and dont hate.....the charity homes are not complaining......am sure they would watch it to....

Hi Folks,

I have read most comment about the kokomaster. To me i see this not only from the moral aspect, but as business man. D'Banj is a serious business man u know.

Folks, u guys should just allow the young man to make money from his idea weather it is been copied from Flavour of Love or Tila Tequila's show its all boils to one thing. Entertainment for the viewers who want it.

But all i am saying is that i hope this is not another ploy to rip Nigerian ladies of their 5k and after all select there own click of girl friends. Good luck ma ladies.... as i go dey follow up the development

i also belong to that school of thot o Ladi. HITV should pls get the objective right and stop developing a wrong public view of an african woman

When I heard about the show I was like: "are these people crazy?!" I can imagine why Dbanj would be down with this kind of thing. I think he believes his own hype which is just to bad but Subair? I mean is this man not enlightened? Shouldn't he have some more sense?

Anyway, I will be watching. Maybe I'll write a letter or two to the station or a newspaper afterwards cause I doubt it is going to be anything commendable

As for all those people who are complaining about using the prize money for charity,i think that charity should start from their pocket.
And those complaining about the women,nobody was forced to buy the form and even most of you that are complaining just missed the form by a hair's breath and i know that some are already vowing not to miss the next edition.
What's this thing about the african woman,i mean if every woman is decent we wont value the decent ones,some have to be wild if you know what am talking about.most of you girls complaining are wishing you will be the winner,so you would follow d'banj around the world,jealousy is also one of the reasons why you just showing your negative world to everybody.you that wants to report the media,i advice you should use that time for a better thing.at least try thinking of how to make your own money.cos by everything you are doing you are contributing to his profits.we are all nigerians,if this was a white show nobody would object.abeg d'banj do your thing i dey ur back.

Too much time is undeservedly being expended analysing the show and writing views. Succinctly, Koko Mansion is probably the worst thing aired on TV since the advent of WNBC - content at its very nadir; below- zero intellect input (and sure, output). Pity.

Omg.Ladi u're so funny dt I cant stop laughing...I really share your view about the whole crazy fiesta...HItv will b counting deir money in millions by d time d show's over. the telecom companies too...i've seen d movie stepford wife and I just think that's it..I like your simpliicity and sense of humour...m still laughing

omg.Ladi u're so funny dt i can't stop laughing....slap me too o...i think it's just a crazy way of helping HItv smile to the banks.I've seen the movie stepford wife and i think it just fits well...1 year housemaid compared with Legislator...oops.I like your simplicity and sense of humour...like to be write like you when I gro up...lol

Post a Comment

Eh heh...

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More