Saturday, June 21, 2008

Married Away.......

So this girl I knew since childhood is getting married. She is seventeen years and her well-educated economist-banker father flogged the crap out of her to force her to accept some older dude's hand in marriage.

"An raba goro" (shared the kolanut) a.k.a traditional wedding invitationin form of kolanut distribution. So its one step taken already. I feel for the girl 'cause I'll rather she stupidly marry some highschool darling than be forced to marry an older dude obviously for some business or some other lame religious or traditional reasons. Kai, the thing is paining me because she'll either be like hardened wayyy to early or taken advantage of and divorsed in a matter of finger snaps with a baby or two to her belt.

(SCREAMS!!!!)

The trend is now is "saki" (divorce) as per one hausa chic will be divorsed and remarried in a matter of weeks. An average northern woman I know has been married twice, thrice-ish because the marriages have hardly been about love. I'm not tripping.

This single mother who lived near us and was sort of a family friend moved out of the area into her second hubbys house but is now back doing renovations 'cause the second round didn't work out. Another one's husband woke up one day and said "You are fired" (like in The Apprentice Africa's version specifically). She later remarried as number 3 so we'll see how stuff works out as the third.
I know Babangida's daughter left the first husband andjust married a northern governor as the third. The first lady of that state has since collapsed and has high blood pressure (Daily Trust Newspaper of a few days ago). Actually the third wife instead of the first was introduced as the first lady without prior agreement or something. (FUNNY!!! May she get better Amen!)

One rich relative's wedding that milions were spent on asoebi's, gold jewellery ("gwal") and all glitz and glam. I think the son from that marriage is in his grandparents house 'cause the business transaction came to wraps and the return on investment might have been low. Was there love sef?

And this kind of stuff didn't happen in the earlier generation oh! I think we're getting greedier, thirstier, hungrier and more desirous of wealth, power, connection, alliance like we're in the 10th century of African chiefs and stuff.

I've raked!!!!

Ladi

6 comments:

The must suck majorly for the girl. Tradition, culture, customs, whatever u want to call it is messed up sometimes esp when the female is marginalized.

Kai ba na so wanan irin magana! Its really so sad...
Oh well, c'est la vie-such is life..

I am first!!!

Na wa oo...its like musical chairs isn't it. The poor girl...how can a father beat their own daughter into sunmission....sometimes culture abuses power and respect that we give our elders...however its seems this behaviour is rife

I think this is my first time her...will be back

It stinks. I don't want to think about Nigeria and arranged marriages.. I hold my comments.

I really MUST find time to post about 'Hausa marriages' which are the most frivolous and of no value because divorce has been made way too easy. This is a subject dear to my heart, I can say I have a PHD in the matter. How I wish more girls would rebel agabst this outdated practice. Ki huta lafiya.

hahaha, hunny you know it. As in we are getting really greedy. Why the heck will anyone allow themselves to be tossed from penis to penis...or worse even tossing yourself from one stick to the next? If this is what hunger is doing to our women (family interests) then I'd rather go hundry than become a serial divorcee!

Post a Comment

Eh heh...

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More